Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Slightest Pang of Regret

For the past few days, I've been hung up on this daytrip Joel and I took with my niece and nephew last summer to Tubb's Hill in Coeur d'Alene. I remember going to Tubb's Hill (we called it Tubb's Mountain) as a little child to hike and swim so it made me happy to take these two there and share that experience. As a child, it feels much bigger than it really is and it was exciting to see it through their eyes. We had a fantastic time and on the way home, while Joel and I talked in the front seat, I could see them asleep, worn out from all the fun in the rearview mirror.

4th of July marks the height of the summer, the point when it gets really hot and the beginning of the school year feels so far away even though it's inching nearer. This year, I have not yet had any summer. I was working, now I'm in school. When I get back to the west coast, I need to work more. It makes me mad, upset, disappointed that this year summer will likely go by and I won't be able to spend any days like this with Joel and these two kids. This is turning out to be the hardest part of going to Switzerland. Knowing full well that I will miss out on two years of these children's lives. This afternoon, looking at this picture, I felt the slightest pang of regret. I'm sure going to miss them.

No comments: