Monday, July 03, 2006

More Chick Lit

I have been in Maryland three weeks now, and in that time, I have finished three chick lit books. That is why I love these books. They're quick reads, they're mindless, they're about nothing of importance, they completely distract me while burning fat on the reclined stationary bike at the gym. They're also in high demand because women go through them like chiclets. Really, no pun intended, and in all seriousness, I've decided to write one. But first let's discuss the work of one Lauren Weisberger.

The Devil Wears Prada is an entertaining read but there were two things that bugged me about this book. One was that it started out midstory, went back in time to bring the reader up to date, and yet never revisited the day the novel started out on. The whole time I was thinking there must have been something of real significance in that first scene that would be revisited and revealed and everything would come full circle. But then it was November and the book had started in Summer. Darn. Bugger number two was that in the last 50 pages the narrative stopped, pretty much all dialogue stopped and it was just a quick summing up of the many plot and subplot lines. Lame. The story was cute, the situational comedy funny, but those two things ticked me off enough that I'm still thinking about them.

The two buggers in Devil didn't tick me off enough, however, to not read Weisberger's next book, Everyone Worth Knowing and I picked it up right after I finished Devil. I enjoyed this book much more than Devil. The story was really romantic and the idea was creative. Perhaps the reason I liked it more was that the character was my age, so it was easier to relate. All of Anna Maxted's characters were my age and somehow, that matters even if it's only a few years' difference. I found the cast of characters full, from the anorexic, shallow Elisa, to the soulful, yet gorgeous Sammy. By the end, the characters exhibited real growth and discovery making it not only entertaining, but satisfying as well. Most importantly, Weisberger tied in all of the little things to make the plot, subplots and storyline a cohesive whole. Two thumbs up on that one.

No comments: