Sunday, July 16, 2006

If it's yellow, let it mellow...

In the last couple weeks before I leave for Switzerland, I am staying at my sister Amy's house with her, her husband Tod and her stepson Henry. I am having a great time here. We eat dinner and then we play cards and watch some Buffy together. They have a nice family unit and it feels cozy and safe. If it's yellow, they let it mellow. I've gotten used to this.

I'm in a real lame duck period here. I haven't left yet, but I feel strangely transient, strangely rooted. I've been painting at my sister Juliet's house. When it comes to painting, it's probably better to pay a professional than leave it to me, but I'm getting better. Today I got a large amount of paint in my hair. Given that I tire of taping and painting after 2 hours, I would make a pitiful laborer. Not that she doesn't like some really great music, but Juliet likes some really bad music. On track 11 of Sarah Douger's latest my mom finally screamed out, "Juliet, who is this horrible girl?" and being in agreement with my mom's opinion, though not her tactics, I took the liberty of pressing stop. The silence was beautiful.

On an exciting note, my visa arrived from the Consulate on Friday. It's very pretty and takes up a whole page in my passport just like my French student visa did. However, this one is much prettier. As it turns out, the beautiful thing is just my entry visa and I will get my permanent visa the day after I arrive.

That day is drawing near and I'm incredibly anxious. Incredibly so.

No comments: