Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanks

It's odd to think that Thanksgiving is happening all over the United States and yet here I am in Switzerland on a nothing Thursday doing nothing in particular. I should go to bed, but somehow I can't quite get tired knowing the holiday, nine hours behind me, is in full swing. My colleague, also American, and definitely the best friend I have in Switzerland and one of the best friends I have had of all time, bought me a Thanksgiving present. It's this really fantastic smelling mild liquid handsoap. I am sure thankful for her. She is a constant link to home, knows about things non-Americans don't know about and just gets it in a way that only someway from your same home can. She is from Seattle, born in Portland, so she's not only American but a Northwesterner, too. If she weren't here, Switzerland wouldn't be nearly so great. I know that long after this experience is over, she and I will still be friends because even though we haven't been friends long, she's one of those special ones that clicks straight away and you know it fits. It may seem silly, but I'm also thankful for Switzerland. I'm enjoying life here, it feels right and it makes me more thankful for home than any Thanksgiving ever has. Here's to the expat life!

1 comment:

kyrie said...

I'm glad you had a thankful day even though you weren't having pumpkin pie! :) Best best wishes to you.