Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Winter Skincare for Dry Skin

I have super dry skin, so in the winter, it's always necessary for me to have a more moisturizing skincare routine. My favorite wintertime cleanser is Lancôme's Huile Douceur. At first it seems so crazy to rub oil all over your face, but actually it is really lovely. First, you apply the oil to a dry face and massage in, then bring to the eye area and gently massage to remove eye makeup. (It's such a bonus to not need a separate eye-makeup remover. It really works, and with no raccoon eyes! ;) Then you wet your hands with warm water and mix into the oil already on your face. When you do this, the oil magically emulsifies and becomes a creamy cleanser. Finally, rinse with warm water or use a washcloth to remove for extra exfoliation. This cleanser leaves my skin feeling smooth and protected and it smells wonderful. 

For the past year and a half, I've been using Arbonne's RE9 skincare year-round. It's wonderful stuff, and really delivers, but this year I decided to trim the budget, so I'm making a switch. That means I am without an eye cream, night cream and day cream. I've been sampling a few different brands, but so far I haven't found a winner. I'd really like to find a drugstore or health food store brand that works well, but is still inexpensive. Do you have dry skin? What creams do you use in the winter? I'm curious, do you find that you spend too much on skincare, too?

(photo from Lancôme)

4 comments:

Morgan said...

I'll have to try the Lancome! I've been using Philosophy Purity Made Simple oil-cleanser and then following up with pure argon oil as a moisturizer. I love it!

Lindsey McLean said...

I just read the ingredients on the Lancôme oil and maybe Philosophy is better? The Lancôme has mineral oil in it!!! Eeek! Works really well though...hmmm. I've heard Josie Maran makes awesome argan oil stuff. Definitely want to try. Thanks for the tip! xo

A Sunday Kind Of Love said...

I have VERY dry and sensitive skin and it just seems to get worse every winter!
I spend so much on skincare, and for a while (broke in college, and surrounded by swiss prices, as you know) I tried to skimp, but I realized that my skin wasn't looking as great.
I have this new cleanser which I really like (great price I think for the quality/size/naturalness): http://www.bluemercury.com/M61-COSMO/M-61-Brilliant-Cleanse.asp

I've also used in the past the Dr.Hauschka milk cleanser which was great for dry skin, but not so great for cleansing off makeup.
Currently searching for a face cream! I want to try some more natural brands, but the creams that sound good to me are $100+ soooo I guess I will keep looking ;)

Lindsey McLean said...

Oooh, that cleanser looks really nice and is a good price for the size, I agree. Why is it so hard to find a good face cream?! :( My cousin has been telling me about this whipped jojoba oil that she uses. It's only $6 per jar! I'm planning to give that a try because you can't go wrong at that price. ;)