Saturday, October 06, 2012

The (possible) Transition from Co-Sleeping to a Crib

Back in the spring, when I first saw this hilarious comic strip about co-sleeping, our sleeping arrangement was really working for us. At the time, I scoffed at this comic, dismissed it as anti-attachment-parenting, and carried on with our blissful sleeping arrangement. Then, ever so slowly, Coco became really good at rolling over, then scooting, then sitting, then crawling, then pulling up and then, suddenly, co-sleeping was a bit of a nightmare! That's when I remembered the comic strip, Googled it, and laughed out loud at how true it is. If I could describe parenting in one word it would be: Humbling. My how things change. ;) Coco is totally "The Stalker" and we know "H is for Hell" well.

So we have reached a strange point. As much as I love co-sleeping, or maybe the idea of co-sleeping, I'm just not sure that it's working anymore. It's hard to sleep when you're being kicked in the face and I really question if any of us are getting the rest we need on some nights. The domino effect when one of us wakes up affects us all, even if it's just to roll over and resettle. In the evenings, Coco goes to bed first and I often go in to check on her while she's sleeping alone in the bed. I see how peaceful she looks and how soundly she's sleeping (in snow angel position, of course) and I can't help but wonder if she might actually prefer sleeping in her own bed?

Just as these new and unexpected questions started bouncing around in my head, I read this post on A Cup of Jo all about the book The Sleepeasy Solution. It's a sleep training book and pretty much something I never thought I would even consider reading. Ever. Much to my surprise, after reading the reviews on Amazon, I decided to order the book, just to see what it says. Did you co-sleep in the beginning and then transition your baby to a crib or bed? What prompted the change? How have sleep/nights/life changed for your family? I would love to hear how it went for you! xo

2 comments:

amyjo said...

I just look at that comic/photo whenever I need a giggle! It's amazing how much chaos they can cause for being such little humans! A friend recently posted on FB 'Why is sleeping with a 1 year old like sleeping with a 200lb gorilla?'. I had to laugh and nod with understanding. :) For us, our little guy sleeps better in his own bed, and so do we, but when we're traveling or he's not well, he always ends up with us, which is a balance we can live with...although I'm not sure how that works with 2 of them! Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing how the book is.

Lindsey McLean said...

I like the idea of her being with us sometimes, but mostly getting good rest in her own bed. The thought of her just being off in her own bed all the time makes me a little sad! Sounds like you guys have a lovely balance. Maybe the answer when you have two is a king size bed? ;)