Sunday, June 18, 2006

Unveiled: The Camping Stove

And here it is. This is the set up in the kitchen I will soon occupy. What a relief. It's nothing like the vile and disgusting image I had in my head. My overactive imagination (I am somewhat like Olivia Joules) conjured up images of 1970s Coleman camping gear covered with an impenetrable layer of dirt and grime, standing on rickety metal legs and attached to a hazardous propane tank ready to blow at any minute, hissing and releasing nasty fumes into the house as I fumble with a box of so-called strike anywhere matches and singe the hairs on my arms and my eyebrows getting it lit. No, this tidy set up is nothing of the sort and should work out just fine for my needs. I actually like the idea that the oven is smaller and energy saving. Besides, I rarely used more than two burners at a time in my kitchen in Spokane, and my refrigerator, stove and oven were all smaller than in normal American households because the kitchen was so small. In Switzerland, I will actually have a bigger kitchen. Now, the question is why it was ever referred to as a camping stove in the first place. It's electric!

A couple photos of the apartment:














The living room and balcony.
The kitchen -- yes, my kitchen in Spokane was actually smaller!

No comments: