Sunday, October 22, 2006

Perfection

Sometimes, things just work out the way they're supposed to. All I wanted was to be home at the end of my trip to Ireland and France last week. So much that I bought another train ticket, prepared to forfeit the ticket I had for the following morning and spend the extra cash. But then my plan was foiled and I couldn't cancel my hostel reservation. By the time I added the hostel, the new ticket and the existing to be forfeited morning ticket, I really couldn't justify the price of going home early. So, I put on some music on my mp3 player and headed off to make the most of it. That's when things started to feel really synchronous. Just as I was coming out of the Metro, one of my favorite songs by St. Germaine came on the random shuffle on my mp3 player. I thought to myself, "hmm, this must be a good sign." I checked into the hostel, randomly made a new friend, went to the Eiffel Tower and watched the sunset and then the city go from daylight to twinkling light. On the elevator ride down, the entire tower was sparkling all around me marking the hour with 5 minutes of dazzling display. I met interesting people from all over the world, admired the beauty of Paris and felt peaceful and renewed. I guess that's what taking a vacation is all about. I thought my plans had been foiled, but in the end it was just perfect. Paris, je t'aime.

No comments: